georgia fields + string quartet
bigsound 2018 ApplicatioN
"Georgia Fields dreams in fantastic Technicolor. Darkly-coded collisions of fairytale and myth... Plain speaking love songs swelling with strings... Irrepressible pop. ★★★★" – The Sydney Morning Herald
"Georgia Fields has a voice that you simply cannot unhear... [She] paints entire worlds..." – Frankie Magazine
Brimming with an intoxicating melodicism, Georgia Fields’ postcard-perfect pop combines the astral with the ordinary, earning her a reputation as one of Melbourne's brightest independent artists. Her stellar song-craft draws on influences as far-reaching as Greek mythology, lunar folklore and the succulent anatomy of citrus fruits. Georgia has been performing and producing original indie-pop music for over a decade, having released three EPs and two albums to critical acclaim (with a third album underway). Read Georgia's full bio over here.
Ever the sonic shape-shifter, Georgia presents an immersive and spellbinding live show with her string quartet. Raw and visceral, yet sweeping with an old-world romance, this adventurous collision of worlds melts the boundaries between art-pop, chamber-folk, and contemporary-classical. The ensemble perform new 'strings only' arrangements of Fields' extensive back catalogue, plus a few surprise covers, imaginatively reinvented.
As a string arranger, Fields has worked behind the scenes for years, composing orchestral accompaniment for many esteemed Australian artists, including triple j darling Olympia, ARIA-award winning vocalist Anthony Callea, and country-soul goddess Suzannah Espie. In 2016 Fields made her debut as film composer with her first original score for feature-length documentary Winter at Westbeth (dir. Rohan Spong / Unicorn Films).
- Afloat, Adrift album launch with The Andromeda String Quartet at Kew Court House, Melbourne (2017).
- East-cost Afloat, Adrift tour with string quartet, including a performance at Sydney's boutique live music series 'High Tea' (SOLD OUT at 100 pax + waiting list) (2017).
- National 'Sky and Sea' tour with fellow Melbourne singer-songwriter Phia. 19 performances across six states states and territories, including a headline performance at Queensland's NightQuarter main stage (outdoor event with over 1,000 in attendance) (2017).
- Open Orange single launch at The Gasometer Hotel main room for Leaps & Bounds festival (2016).
- Performance with string quartet at ACMI Melbourne for the David Bowie Is... exhibition, on tour from the V&A in London (2015) Georgia re-orchestrated the entire Ziggy Stardust album for string quartet and voice.
- Live collaboration with string quintet from the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra for Melbourne Music Week (2013).
- SOLD OUT headline show with string quartet at The Famous Spiegeltent, Arts Centre Melbourne (2012).
- National television appearance on SBS' RocKwiz, alongside Normie Rowe (2011).
- Main stage performance at Apollo Bay Music Festival with 11-piece 'Mini-Indie-Orchestra' (2011).
- Multiple appearances at Queenscliff Music Festival with 'Mini-Indie-Orchestra' (2008).
- Multiple appearances at St Kilda Festival (2007 and 2009).