P R E S S K I T
“Georgia Fields dreams in fantastic Technicolor... Darkly coded collisions of fairytale and myth... Plain-speaking love songs swelling with strings... Irrepressible pop." ★★★★ — The Sydney Morning Herald
Georgia Fields’ postcard-perfect pop combines the astral with the ordinary, earning her a reputation as one of Australia’s brightest independent singer-songwriters. Brimming with an intoxicating melodicism, Fields’ songcraft draws on influences as far-reaching as Greek mythology, lunar folklore and the succulent anatomy of citrus fruits. Her captivating live show is full of wit and wonder: “intelligent, seductive and touched by a vividly-blooming magic” (The Autumn Roses, USA).
Ever the sonic shape-shifter, Georgia Fields presents a wildly evocative chamber-folk experience as she collaborates with The Andromeda String Quartet. This adventurous collision of worlds sees Fields’ unmistakable indie-pop charm combine with Andromeda’s artful and ethereal string accompaniment in a breathtaking, immersive live show.
The Andromeda String Quartet is: Natasha Conrau (violin), Ruby Paskas (violin), Susanna Ling (viola) and Charlotte Jacke (cello). As individuals they are in high demand, having performed with the likes of the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, Queensland Symphony Orchestra, Adelaide Symphony Orchestra, Orchestra Victoria, Melbourne Ring Orchestra, Solstice Trio and Australian Art Orchestra – to name just a few.
In 2017, Fields unveiled Afloat, Adrift: a stunning retrospective, recorded live with The Andromeda String Quartet. Breaths between bows and creaks from the upright piano can be heard amongst the lush string arrangements, on what could be Fields’ most intimate and emotionally affecting vocal performance yet. Raw and visceral, yet sweeping with an old-world romance, Afloat, Adrift features new string quartet versions of material spanning her 10-year career.
Georgia Fields has been performing, producing and releasing original music independently for over a decade. Since the release of her acclaimed 2007 debut EP Drama on the High Seas of Emotion (with over 700 album covers lovingly hand-made from vintage Little Golden Books), Georgia Fields has toured with her 'Mini-Indie-Orchestra', performed on the main stages of Apollo Bay Music Festival and Queenscliff Music Festival, and sung duets with some of Australia's most beloved luminaries, such as Clare Bowditch and Angie Hart (frente!). Her 2010 self-titled LP was named Album of the Week for ABC Radio National and Beat Magazine. 2016's highly anticipated Astral Debris was featured on PBS and Triple R community radio, and awarded four stars by The Sydney Morning Herald. As a string arranger, Fields has worked behind-the-scenes for years, composing orchestral accompaniment for many esteemed Australian artists, including triple j darling Olympia, ARIA-award winning vocalist Anthony Callea, and country-soul goddess Suzannah Espie.
- Afloat, Adrift album launch with The Andromeda String Quartet at Kew Court House, Melbourne (2017).
- East-cost Afloat, Adrift tour with string quartet, including a SOLD OUT performance at Sydney's boutique live music series 'High Tea' (2017).
- Performance at ACMI Melbourne for the 'David Bowie Is...' exhibition, on tour from the V&A in London (2015).
- Live performance with string quintet from the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra for Melbourne Music Week (2013).
- SOLD OUT headline show with string quartet at The Famous Spiegeltent, Arts Centre Melbourne (2012).
- National television appearance on SBS' RocKwiz, alongside Normie Rowe (2011).
- Main stage performance at Apollo Bay Music Festival with 11-piece 'Mini-Indie-Orchestra' (2011).
- Main stage appearance at Queenscliff Music Festival with RocKwiz Live, alongside Kim Salmon and Alexander Gow (2012).
- Multiple appearances at Queenscliff Music Festival with 9-piece 'Mini-Indie-Orchestra' (2008).
- Multiple appearances at St Kilda Festival (2007 and 2009).